Philadelphia is one of the great golf centers in the United States and at its heart is The Philadelphia Cricket Club, the only club in the United States with a different golf course constructed in each of the last three centuries.
The original nine-hole course was built in 1895 by famed architect Willie Tucker and was soon expanded to an eighteen-hole course in 1897. The course, now known as St. Martins and playing as a pleasant nine-hole layout, hosted the U.S. Open Championship in 1907 and 1910. In 1920, the Club commissioned one of its members, the renowned A.W. Tillinghast, to create a golf course in Flourtown. Now known as Wissahickon, this Tillinghast course shows the work of a design genius at the height of his abilities. The course opened for play in 1922, and in 2013-2014, underwent a complete restoration. The Club was proud to open a second championship 18-hole course in 2002 designed by Dr. Michael Hurdzan and Dana Fry. Adjacent to the Wissahickon course, Militia Hill's modernity complements its classic neighbor. The Club provides its members with access to the top golf practice facility in Philadelphia from dawn until dusk throughout the golf season. Its two-tiered range includes short game, irons-only, and instruction areas to complement dozens of grass hitting stations.
The Club offers a comprehensive competition schedule for men, women and children of all ages and abilities. The Philadelphia Cricket Club is one of the four founding members of the Golf Association of Philadelphia and fields a number of men's and women's teams in interclub competition, while juniors compete in the Colonial League. Internally, the Club hosts gross/net Club Championships, Men's League, Women's League, Better Ball tournaments, etc., as well as social competitions such as two Member/Guest tournaments and numerous Stag and Doe Days. With over 10 PGA Professionals on staff, the Club strives to provide its members with the best instruction experience possible, including private lessons, clinics and group instruction opportunities for men, women and children.
The Philadelphia Cricket Club hosted the 2015 PGA Professional National Championship and the 2016 Constellation SENIOR PLAYERS Championship, and will host the 2020 U.S. Amateur Four-Ball Championship.
- The Fried Egg featured a recap of the 2013 Wissahickon restoration with fantastic photography.
- Golf Week ranked the PCC Wissahickon Course #30 in its 2016 top 100 Classic Courses.
- Golf Week ranked the PCC Wissahickon Course #32 in its 2015 top 100 Classic Courses.
- Golf Week editor Brad Klein gives The Cricket Club and its new Wissahickon course a stellar review in Business Jet Traveler.
- Golf Week featured the Wissahickon restoration in its June 2014 issue.
- The Cricket Club's golf practice facility was named one of the top 50 Golf Range Private Facilities by the Golf Range Association of America.
- Top 50 Practice Facilities (Private Club) in the U.S. in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016 by the Golf Range Association of America.
National Golf Tournaments
The Cricket Club hosted the 2016 Constellation Senior Players Championship.